The ONA16 Volunteer Committee looks for volunteers to work before, during and a little bit after the 2016 Online News Association Conference in Denver, Sept. 15-17. Volunteers work alongside the best minds in online journalism, and revel in the satisfaction of pulling off one of the best events in the industry.
Volunteer closed Thursday, April 14 at 11:59 p.m. ET. All applicants will be notified before the early-bird registration period ends.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do volunteers receive a pass to ONA16? Yes, volunteers will receive one complimentary badge to attend our conference, which has sold out for the past 8 years running.
- Do volunteers receive any support for travel, or room and board? Unfortunately, we are not able to provide travel, hotel or meals for volunteers. (Student Newsroom is different; see below.)
- Are volunteers able to attend educational sessions? Volunteers work an eight to 10-hour shift. You are more than welcome to attend other events at ONA16 outside of your scheduled volunteer hours.
- What qualifications to volunteers need? We’ve outlined the qualifications we’re looking for on each page below. Needs range from simply having a love of digital journalism to more technical knowledge for our video and social teams.
- What if I apply to more than one position? No need to worry — our team leaders will coordinate to find the best spot for you.
- When will I be notified? Each team will notify applicants once that team is finalized. So you may hear about different positions at different times. Team leaders start choosing teams soon after the application period closes, on April 14 at 11:59 p.m. ET. You’ll be notified before early-bird registration rates end, that way you can still take advantage of our lowest rates in case you’re not selected as a volunteer.
- Who can I contact? Each team has its own email address. Use firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to get in touch.